Michigan State is home to a host of student organizations dedicated to LBGT students! Student organizations reflect attention to personal and social support, campus and community political action, intersections of LBGT identities with other identities such as, race, ethnicity, nationality, spirituality and academic and professional affiliation. Student organizations at MSU have a complex and lengthy history.
For the most up-to-date times when the group meets, check out our Events Calendar.
If you are interested in starting a group, contact email@example.com.
The Alliance of Queer and Ally Students
The Alliance of Queer and Ally Students (also known as just “The Alliance”) is one of the groups that forms the Council of Progressive Students under the student government of MSU, the Associated Students of Michigan State University (ASMSU). The Alliance recieves funding through ASMSU allocations. It is the oldest of the existing LGBT student organizations in the country, tracing its history on campus back to 1970. The purpose of The Alliance shall be to advocate for and assist in the maintenance of the equality of all groups of Students at Michigan State University that are discriminated against on the basis of gender identity and/or sexual orientation.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pg/AllianceMSU
- Instagram: @alliance_msu
Residence Hall Caucuses
Each of the five MSU Neighborhoods have a residential caucus dedicated to LGBT students. The residence hall groups primarily focus on providing a safe space for personal and social support and furthering education on the LGBT communities. Some groups have their own personal meeting room while others meet in various locations around the neighborhood. Funding for each group comes from the Residence Hall Association (RHA).
- TRUE is the River Trail LGBT Caucus
- Contact: email@example.com
- Instagram: @true_lgbtq_caucus
- LIGHT is the Brody Neighborhood LBGT Caucus.
- PRIDE is the North Neighborhood LGBT Caucus.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: @northpridemsu
- PRISM is the South Neighborhood LGBT Caucus.
- Spectrum is the East Neighborhood LGBT Caucus.
- Contact: email@example.com
- Instagram: @spectrum_msu
Registered Student Organizations
- A-Spectrum is a safe meeting place for asexual and aromantic people, discuss asexuality, aromanticism and other gender and sexuality issues, and promote awareness and education about asexuality and aromanticism.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: facebook.com/msuaspectrum
- Twitter: @msuapsectrum
- PRIDE POCC (PRIDE People of Color Coalition) is an organization for LGBTQ Spartans of Color and their allies. The purpose of PRIDE POC is to provide a safe, inclusive space for LGBTQIA+ People of Color. We want to give people with this identity a space for them to get connected, build community and service those who need it.
- Contact: email@example.com
- Instagram: @pride_pocc
- The Stonewall Society‘s purpose is to provide LGBTQ Madisonians a voice through meaningful discussions about LGBTQ issues in the world and on campus, advocacy for the general well being of LGBTQ students, and to promote LGBTQ inclusion in curriculum, social programming, and college culture.
- TransAction is a Michigan State University campus based group that focuses on the needs of the trans community and its allies. It works to be an inviting and understanding social group for transgender, gender nonconforming, questioning students and their allies. The meetings are safe spaces where members can socialize with, learn from, and find community with other trans, gender nonconforming, and questioning students and allies. Some meetings are centered around discussion, others focus on education, and some are more laid back and social.
- Arc is designed to create a support network for students who are within the LGBTQIA+ population with a focus on cultivating a more connected community across campus in a relaxed and positive social environment. Arc works to connect LGBTQIA+ students across campus to create real friendships through games, movies, events, and socializing!
Other Recognized Organizations
- Delta Lambda Phi is a social fraternity created by gay men, for all men, irrespective of sexual orientation or gender expression. The Chi Chapter engages in social, service, and philanthropic activities that benefit the LGBT and MSU communities. Along with building a brotherhood, we are committed to promoting inclusiveness and fostering spaces for growth and personal development.
- GLBT Alumni Association: The mission of GLBT Alumni of Michigan State University is to promote the interests of its members and MSU by fostering opportunities among gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender alumni and friends to support each other and the university academically, professionally, socially, financially and politically. GLBT Alumni of Michigan State University intends to: 1) Build and maintain positive relationships; 2) Assist MSU GLBT students; 3) Provide networking opportunities; 4) Foster and maintain partnerships with other MSU orgs
- Triangle Bar Associationseeks to increase social acceptance, and provide support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, gender variant and queer (LGBTQAI+) students, families, faculty, staff, and allies in the legal community. Specifically, we aim to: 1) Develop an academic environment that supports queer legal scholarship; 2) Maintain a strong visible community of LGBTQAI+ law students; 3) Organize events relating to political, social, and legal issues affecting the LGBTQAI+ community; 4) Educate the Law School community on the legal status of LGBTQAI+ individuals, and; 5) Develop resources to support LGBTQAI+ attorneys or attorneys representing the interests of LGBTQAI+ clients.
- MSUCOM Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Allies in Medicine works to advocate for equality and to acknowledge diversity within the medical community; to achieve and recognition by educating ourselves and our colleagues in LGBT issues as they pertain to everyday life and the practice of medicine; to assist in developing competent, inclusive physicians.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- QT-G(R)RAD (Queer and Trans-Graduate (Research) Resources, Academics and Development provides and fosters and safe place for LGBTQ+ community, dialogue and work among Michigan State University graduate and professional students. The organization also assists members in their academic, professional and personal endeavors by compiling resources both in the academy and in the greater Lansing area. These resources can include but are not limited to scholarships and fellowships, research and learning opportunities, personal and professional development and volunteer work. The organization works with the broader community to foster togetherness between members and LGBTQ+ individuals outside of the University. The organization recognizes the value in having diverse bodies, experiences and perspectives come together and it actively encourages these intersections.
- Contact: email@example.com
- Spartan Pride (Affiliated with Out Undergrad, Reaching out MBA). The purpose of this organization is to build relationships between the Eli Broad College of Business Undergraduate and Graduate student populations, Faculty, Staff, Alumni, and Corporations, focused on LGBTQ+ awareness. Furthermore, provide professional networking opportunities, promote a safe and supportive environment for students, faculty and staff and facilitate professional development focused on continued representation of LGBTQ+ individuals in Business.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- LGBTQIA+ Medicine is established for the expressed purpose of increasing the competency and confidence of medical students, healthcare professionals and faculty in serving LGBTQIA+ patient populations. Through campus involvement, workshops and community outreach, our mission is to improve the health of LGBTQIA+ patient populations.
- Contact: email@example.com