LGBTQ+ Leadership and Service Awards
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, April 15th, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
About the Award
•celebrates rapidly changing times for LBGT persons everywhere
•recognizes the shaming of, struggles endured by, and opportunities denied to LBGT persons
•acknowledges the invaluable and tireless work of LBGT persons and their allies in advancing civil rights
•represents the hope of obtaining equality and ending LBGT discrimination
•and seeks to support opportunities for MSU students with the ambition and vision to achieve equality
Each scholarship will be awarded to support student participation in internships, service-learning, volunteerism, campus leadership, funds to support a program you want to create to benefit the community this summer, or study away and abroad programs related to social justice issues that impact the LBGT community. Approximately 10 awards of $1000 will be made.
How to Apply
Each candidate must email their letter of application to email@example.com. Please send as PDF. Letters of recommendation and other supplemental materials will not be accepted for consideration. Preference will be given to applicants who have at least a 3.0 GPA and are in financial need. Prior award recipients remain eligible to receive the same or other awards in subsequent years. Included in each application is a personal statement, which must not exceed 1200 words (4 pages), and MUST address each of the following:
1. Describe the service or learning opportunity that that you are seeking support for.
2. What is the relevance of this activity to the LBGTQ+ community?
3. How will the award funds be used?
4. How do you anticipate that this award will impact your life and personal development?
5. How will this experience be shared with or meet the needs of the campus community.
6. Describe your involvement or commitment to the LBGT community.
7. Tell us about your need for financial assistance through this award.
This award would be available for expenditure in Summer 2018 or Fall 2018.
Application Deadline: Sunday, April 15th, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
Questions: Call 517-353-9520 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Please write Award in your subject line.
Information for Spring 2018 scholarship is below.
The LBGT Resource Center is incredibly grateful to our donors and alumni who make our scholarships and awards possible. To learn more about a particular scholarship, click the corresponding link below:
Spring 2018 Scholarships & Awards
- The Pride Scholarship
- The Pride Scholarship has a value of approximately $20,000 for tuition assistance and was founded in 2000 by Bill Beachler, an MSU Alumnus. Candidates should demonstrate academic achievement and involvement with, or contributions to, the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community. Preference is given to an incoming, first year (or transfer) student, although all undergraduate students are encouraged to apply.
- The Stephen P. Pougnet and Christopher J. Green Endowed Scholarship
- This scholarship is valued between $3,500 and $7,000 of tuition assistance, is awarded to a currently enrolled student of junior or senior standing (preference is given to students enrolled in The Eli Broad College of Business at Michigan State University). Candidates must demonstrate academic excellence and involvement with or contributions to LGBT communities.
There is one central website for all scholarships affiliated with the Division of Student Affairs and Services, including The Pride Scholarship and The Stephen P. Pougnet and Christopher J. Green Endowed Scholarship. There, you can also explore some of the other scholarship opportunities offered through the Division of Student Affairs and Services.
All scholarship applications must be submitted through the Student Affairs and Services scholarship website.