LGBTQA+ International Students and Allies: Welcome to Michigan State University!
We are so glad to have you studying here at Michigan State. This page is specifically for you, with resources to help you in your transition and life at Michigan State.
- For more information about LGBTQA+ life in the U.S. and the MSU Campus Community, check out our International Student Fact Sheet here.
- To receive the most up-to-date information about the Resource Center and LGBTQ Community, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.
- Check out former MSU staff psychologist, Dr. Christine Zhou (Shuangmei) give a TEDTalk entitled Why does a 30-something single woman from China care about LGBTQ rights? Dr. Zhou is originally from Chengdu, China and came to the United States as an international student in 2000.
- Please remember that all students, staff, and faculty—regardless of their age, color, disability status, gender, gender identity, height, marital status, national origin, political persuasion, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or weight—are protected by MSU’s anti-discrimination policy. If you feel that you have been treated unfairly because of your sexual orientation, gender identity, or any of these other factors, you can report this incident to the university. Learn more at the Office of Institutional Equity’s page for LGBTQA+ community members and file a report on their page here.
Additionally, there are many organizations throughout the world supporting transgender, gender non-conforming, and intersex communities and rights. These are just a few of them with websites in English:
- Transgender India
- Transgender Equality Network Ireland
- Transgender Europe
- The National Center for Transgender Equality is a U.S. organization, and includes a web page About Transgender People
- Organization Intersex International – Australia
- International LGBTI Association (ILGA) is a coalition of organizations around the world
- Transgender Resources listing by GLAAD – U.S.-focused directory of resources
- GATE – Global Action for Trans* Equality – international activist organization
If you ever have any questions, or would like to be connected to the various LGBTQA+ student organizations here on campus or our programs, stop by our office in 302 Student Services on the north side of campus. You can also e-mail us at email@example.com.