The purpose of SparQ is to provide sources of support and peer connectivity to students marginalized by their sexual/romantic orientations and/or gender identity. SparQ seeks to bring together mentors and mentees to help facilitate a smoother transition into Michigan State University.
SparQ strives to:
- Support first-year students’ transition into a healthy and successful campus life;
- Develop a sense of mentors’ and mentees’ multiple and intersecting identities in a supportive, safe environment;
- Connect students with key campus resources;
- Promote student involvement;
- Create meaningful relationships with peers
Information for Potential Mentees
Are you an incoming student who would like more assistance acclimating to MSU? Sign-up to be a SparQ Mentee! SparQ Mentees will be paired with a current MSU student. Mentors are trained and work with LBGT Resource Center staff to help ensure you have a smooth, seamless transition into Michigan State University. Mentees and mentors connect at least once per week, meeting in-person every other week. Together with your mentor, you will create a mentorship agreement, helping to identify your mutual needs.
If you are interested in being a mentee for SparQ for the 2018- 2019 school year, apply here: Mentee Application
Information for Potential Mentors
Interested in helping a new student get adjusted to MSU? Sign-up to be a SparQ Mentor! SparQ Mentors will receive training from LBGT Resource Center staff on how to be an effective mentor to new Spartan students including, but not limited to: supportive communication skills; student development; MSU resources; and more! SparQ Mentors will be required to connect with their mentee at least four times per month, two times which must be in person.
To be a SparQ Mentor, applicants must: Mentor Application
- Be a current student who has been at MSU for at least one year;
- Be in good standing with the University;
- Be willing to connect with their mentee at least four times per month, two of which must be in-person;
- Be willing to attend ongoing SparQ meetings and programs with their mentee;
- Attend an information session with LBGT Resource Center staff
- Attend a mentor program introduction on Thursday, September 13, 2018 more details TBD;
- Attend a follow-up check-in mid-semester with LBGT Resource Center staff
If you are interested in being a mentor for SparQ for the 2018 – 2019 school year, fill out the information here:
If you have questions, comments, or concerns about the program, please contact Oprah Jrenal at firstname.lastname@example.org