The Stephen P. Pougnet and Christopher J. Green Endowed Scholarship, with a value between $3,000 and $6,000, is awarded to a currently enrolled MSU student of junior or senior standing. Preference is given to students enrolled in The Eli Broad College of Business. Candidates must demonstrate academic excellence and involvement with or contributions to LGBT communities.
Stephen and Christopher decided to establish this scholarship because of their desire to help students in the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community at MSU and to inspire these students to have the confidence to succeed in their professional careers. Stephen Pougnet graduated from MSU with a BA from the Eli Broad College of Business in 1985. Stephen is the former mayor of Palm Springs, California. Christopher Green graduated from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro with a BA in Business Administration in 1982 and a BS in Nursing in 1985; he also received an MBA from the University of Colorado in 1998. Christopher currently works in management for Amgen.
To apply for the Stephen P. Pougnet and Christopher J. Green Endowed Scholarship, you must submit:
- A scholarship application (via the Student Affairs and Services scholarship website),
- Proof of enrollment at MSU,
- Your resume,
- A personal statement.
Your resume should include all co-curricular involvement and activities. Please be sure to include any involvement, whether it be in-school or outside of school, that demonstrates your commitment to the LBGT community. This file should be submitted as a Microsoft Word or .pdf file.
Your personal statement must be 500 – 1000 words. This should be an essay explaining why you are seeking this scholarship and your relevant experience in light of the description of the scholarship. You may mention, but need not prove, financial need. This file should be submitted as a Microsoft Word or .pdf file.
You may want to consider touching on these topics:
- Ways in which having this scholarship will help you achieve your academic and life goals;
- Previous involvement with LBGT activities in school or in the broader community;
- Ways in which you consider yourself to be an activist or agent for social change;
- Involvement that includes multiple identities;
- Obstacles or challenges you have faced and overcome in relation to your LBGT involvement or activism.
Application materials must be submitted via the Student Affairs and Services scholarship website.
Scholarship applications for 2016 are no longer being accepted. Information on 2017 scholarships will be released in January 2017.
Past Stephen P. Pougnet and Christopher J. Green Scholarship Recipients
- 2017, Anonymous
- 2016, Catherine Washington & Kyler Leigh
- 2015, Elliott Norris
- 2014, Aaron Kuhn
- 2013, Mady Gildea & Eilliot Zirilnik
- 2012, Denzel McCampbell & Erica Shekell
- 2011, Rachel Skylis & Justin Drwencke
- 2010, Nicholas Pfost & Kalleigh Landstra
- 2009, Kate Miller & Robert Prudhomme
- 2009, Patrick Gaulier & Christopher Lopez